Refining Your Toolkit
Welcome to the Virginia Department of Education’s Refining Your Toolkit: Counseling Fundamentals Virtual Learning Series.
This series is directed towards licensed, school-based, mental health practitioners such as school counselors, school psychologists, and school social workers.
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
The goal of this module is to introduce school-based mental health professionals to the framework of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and to provide specific examples of ACT in practice within a school setting. During this module you will:
- Learn the core components of Acceptance & Commitment Therapy.
- Understand how the Relational Frame Theory of language and cognition informs the ACT approach.
- Understand how the six ACT processes foster psychological flexibility.
- Be able to apply the core processes of ACT within a counseling practice.
Solution-Focused Brief Counseling
The goal of this module is to introduce school-based mental health professionals to Solution-Focused Brief Counseling and to provide specific examples of Solution-Focused Brief Counseling in practice within a school setting. During this module you will learn:
- The goals of Solution Focused Brief Counseling Three different questioning strategies and how to use them in the school setting. The module also provides important considerations when applying this theory.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
The goal of this module is to introduce school-based mental health professionals to the framework of Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) and to provide specific examples of CBT in practice within a school setting. During this module you will:
- Increase your understanding of cognition and brain development.
- Strengthen your understanding of the basic principles of CBT.
- Explore opportunities to apply CBT in the school setting.
The goal of this module is to introduce school-based mental health professionals to the framework of Motivational Interviewing (MI) and to provide specific examples of MI in practice within a school setting. During this module you will:
- Understand the four key principles of Motivational Interviewing and process of MI Identify and implement OARS to build rapport with students Identify MI techniques to help students change.
Check Your Knowledge
We encourage you to take the cumulative quiz on the Refining Your Tool Kit modules. Successful completion of the quiz will earn a personalized certificate. Make sure to watch all 4 modules before attempting the cumulative quiz. You will need to create an account in order to take the quiz. There is no charge and your email address will not be used for any other purpose.
This quiz has 28 multiple choice, true/false, and multiple answer questions. Multiple choice questions use a round button and require only one answer. Multiple answer questions use a square button and may have several correct answers and/or an “all/none of the above” answer choice. Choose the best answer(s) to each question. You may review the correct answer after submitting your choice, but you will not be able to change your answer after reviewing it. You must achieve a score of 85% correct to earn a certificate. If you successfully answer 85% of the questions, a certificate will be emailed to you. Note that you are able to take the quiz as many times as you like to earn a certificate.RYT CUMULATIVE QUIZ